Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21st-Fear not little flock

November 21st
"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." - John 10:11

"Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail." -Doctrine and Covenants 6:34

I love when Jesus Christ is referred to as the good shepherd. Every time this is used in the scriptures it pierces my heart. He truly does love his sheep and he did give his life for us. These words are very tender and show how deeply our Savior understands us.
We know our shepherd's voice and if we listen to him and follow him we will be protected from the wilderness.

President Monson once shared a great observation on shepherd and how they watch over their flocks and how they relate to our Savior being our shepherd. (full story-click here! )

"Dad would drive about 35 miles an hour all the way up to Provo Canyon or until we would come around a bend in the road and our journey would be halted by a herd of sheep. We would watch as hundreds of sheep filed past us, seemingly without a shepherd, a few dogs yapping at their heels as they moved along. Way back in the rear we could see the sheepherder on his horse—not a bridle on it but a halter. He was occasionally slouched down in the saddle dozing, since the horse knew which way to go and the yapping dogs did the work.
Contrast that to the scene which I viewed in Munich, Germany, many years ago. It was a Sunday morning, and we were en route to a missionary conference. As I looked out the window of the mission president’s automobile, I saw a shepherd with a staff in his hand, leading the sheep. They followed him wherever he went. If he moved to the left, they followed him to the left. If he moved to the right, they followed him in that direction. I made the comparison between the true shepherd who led his sheep and the sheepherder who rode casually behind his sheep.

Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep.” He provides for us the perfect example of what a true shepherd should be."
-President Thomas S. Monson

 I am grateful for my shepherd.

No comments: